- 4 bone beef short ribs, cut 3 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon each of chopped parsley, Thyme and Rosemary
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 1/2 cups Merlot red wine or other
- 2 cup beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. You could dredge the short rib with flour, optional.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil Working in batches if needed, add the ribs to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning a few times, until richly browned, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer the ribs to the roasting pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic and celery to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, add tomato paste until lightly browned about 5 minutes. Add the wine and Beretta beef broth and boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Pour the liquid and vegetables over the ribs, sprinkle with the herbs.. Cover and braise in the oven for about 3 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Transfer the ribs to a deep platter. Strain the braising liquid into a medium saucepan. Skim off the fat and boil the sauce over high heat until reduced by half , about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, pour the sauce over the ribs and serve.